Chester Northgate will be delivered in phases to ensure that the new hotel and markets are built and occupied before the old ones are demolished. After this first stage, the new retail development can be built. It is proposed that Hunter’s Walk (the library site development) will be delivered before any of this to support the new cultural centre, Storyhouse.
Key benefits of the new proposals
- Physical renewal of a key quarter within the city centre
- Creation of more choice and high-quality retail for Chester shoppers
- Delivery of a vibrant new leisure quarter with new cinema, markets and restaurants
- Around 1,040 full-time-equivalent new jobs following its development
- Circa £37m of additional spend each year in the local economy
- Provision of architecturally superior 4-star hotel, spa and improved conference facilities