Located in a prominent position on Town Hall Square, the old library building is re-imagined to provide a range of high quality food and beverage units at ground floor with new office accommodation above with views over Market Square.
Use of timber, bricks and glass give a modern interpretation of traditional materials. The terracotta façade of the old library building will be complemented by a modern version of the material for the new build.
York stone paving will be provided in the arcade and a mirrored ceiling will increase the sense of height within the space.
The central arch of the existing façade is opened up to form a new front door to Market Square and Westminster arcade.
The extensive and finely crafted terracotta detail of the original building (Westminster Coach and Motor Car Works, 1914) provides inspiration for the new contemporary building addition onto Market Square.
Next – Arcade – Market Square